23 Oct CFLA Copyright Committee Update
- Victoria Owen from the CFLA copyright committee was a guest of the Michael Geist podcast to discuss the CFLA statement Don’t Blame Copyright for Declining Revenue. It Won’t Help Authors.
- Crown Copyright Code of Best Practices continues its work. Watch for calls for peer reviewers later this year.
- CFLA Controlled Digital Lending (CDL) working group’s work was presented at IFLA as a way for regional bodies to address CDL in their jurisdictions.
- Making Works Accessible document created by accessibility coalition is nearing completion. This also will address Reasonable Search Guidance.
- E-book collaboration umbrella group has engaged a research assistant to analyze provincial competition legislation to evaluate opportunities to make the changes suggested with the Ontario legislative proposal. This will be combined with the political assessment of provincial openness being compiled by TSA to recommend which provinces should be approached. The group will also discuss opportunities in the upcoming Competition Act Review to assess if there are appropriate areas for discussion.
- OLA Copyright Symposium will be on the afternoons (ET) of December 7 and 8. Dec. 7 will be about AI and copyright and Dec 8 will focus on contract over-ride
- Public Lending Right (PLR) Working Group is beginning its work on developing a statement on the public lending right in Canada.
- Members from CFLA will be participating in a WIPO side session on Marakesh Treaty as part of a CARL – ARL working group. This will hopefully encourage more States to accede to the Treaty.
Courtesy of Alex Kohn, ABQLA Representative to the CFLA Copyright Committee